Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Getting to Know a Gem in Our Membership: Kareen Ver Helst, MS

As director of development for Coastal Behavioral Healthcare, Inc., Kareen Ver Helst has a sensitivity and passion for helping those with mental disorders. You'll enjoy hearing her talk about what she refers to as "the privilege of being a behind-the-scenes agent or 'facilitator' of good deeds for thousands of people who otherwise would have no other resources to regain their health."

She's been an AFP Southwest Florida member since December 2009 and is a new member to our Marketing Committee.

We'll follow up with 4 things she values about the local chapter of AFP in a subsequent post, but for now, let's get to know a little more about this fascinating person who is so well-spoken about her fundraising work.
  • Tell us about your typical work day.
    I doubt you will be surprised by the answer…that there is no typical day at the office! In fact, this keeps my job exciting! Prior to becoming the Director of Development for Coastal Behavioral Healthcare, I was the Grant Development Director and later worked for Coastal on a contract basis, preparing competitive grant applications to private and public entities at the local, state, and national level.

    I continue to develop and submit our grant applications and have also been involved over the past year with our volunteer Board and Development Committee members in sharing with our community the stories that speak of our mission. It has been rewarding to host small gatherings where we have had the opportunity to share with others why our mission matters. I get to meet a lot of people in various fields, all working toward the common goal of making our community a better place to live – whether from law enforcement organizations, other social service agencies, private funding entities, individual donors, and many unsung heroes along the way!

  • What are the biggest funding challenges for organizations serving mental health/ substance abuse missions? When a person suffers from a mental illness or a substance use disorder, their illness is often seen by many in our culture as a character flaw or lack of willingness to simply “get over it” and make better choices. This can lead to little empathy for those who suffer from a mental illness or substance use disorder.

    Without empathy, there is no connection to the person who is suffering and no compassion. If we were all guaranteed the financial resources to take care of ourselves and our families in the event of a mental health issue, there would be no need for a charitable not-for-profit agency like Coastal. Unfortunately, this is not the case. Even the best insurance plans available do not cover the costs of treatment for mental health and substance use disorders in the same way that traditional medical disorders may be paid for. And many in our community are not aware of this reality.

    Mental illness is also something we are still afraid to talk about. The health of our mind impacts every choice we make on a daily basis, from how we interact with our family members, colleagues, and friends, to whether we are able to take care of ourselves and be successful at our job. It might be surprising to many to hear that some of the symptoms of mental health disorders (e.g., low mood, or at the opposite end of the spectrum - feeling on top of the world, fatigue, worry, inability to focus, changes in appetite and sleep patterns, etc.) can be a part of the normal range of daily experiences and may not necessarily constitute a mental health disorder.

    Some of these symptoms even resemble those of common physical health problems. It is the frequency, duration, and intensity of the symptoms along with the degree to which they impact one’s ability to function in social and occupational roles that may lead to a clinical diagnosis of a mental health disorder. And many factors influence human beings’ susceptibility to these disorders, including prolonged periods of severe stress. This can be a scary thought for most of us…What if this happened to me or to the people I love? How would I handle it? What if I could no longer take care of myself or my family? Where would I go for help? Would I lose my dignity, my reputation and be shunned by those I call my friends? Mental illness and substance abuse devastate the people who experience it and the families and communities we are all a part of.

    I believe that is why it can be difficult to find champions for our cause…However, we have been fortunate right here in our community to have witnessed the courage of individuals who help break the stereotype of what it means to live with a mental health disorder. They have had the courage to share their story and demonstrate to all of us on a daily basis that leading a healthy and positive life is possible when the right treatment is provided at the right time – just like with a physical health disorder. People recover and live well. Treatment works. We count our blessings every time we meet someone who is passionate about helping us further our mission. If one in four individuals in America is affected by a mental health diagnosis (including substance abuse), there are many in our community who care and are waiting for us to connect with them so we can help them realize their passion! I am encouraged and know that it is simply a matter of time…

  • What do you like most about your job? Wow, there are many things I like about my job. First, I am fortunate to work for an organization that is truly committed to caring for those who count on us for help in their darkest hours and for the employees who do the work every day to carry out our mission.

    What I find most rewarding about my job is the privilege of being a behind-the-scenes agent or “facilitator” of good deeds for thousands of people who otherwise would have no other resources to regain their health and no one else to be a friend when faced with an illness that is still heavily stigmatized. Our donors and funders give us the tools to make it happen – their passion and caring hearts pave the way for us to do the work of giving thousands each year another chance at a healthier life with the tools and skills to make better choices and contribute positively and meaningfully to the their families and to the life of their community.

    It is also a personally rewarding experience to meet and develop relationships with people who are passionate about health and give of themselves and their personal resources to help us succeed …I have the opportunity to be inspired every day by extraordinary acts of generosity and stories I can take back to my children so that they, too can believe and be inspired. I am very fortunate to benefit from the wisdom and experience of great leaders within my organization, on our board, within our community, and within our very own AFP chapter, who have walked before me, lead by example, and thoughtfully guide me along the way.

  • What’s your favorite after work activity? Truthfully… picking up my boys after school, seeing their little faces full of beauty and energy, and being able to squeeze them tight after a long day apart! I also enjoy fitness activities like weight training, yoga, and other fitness classes.

  • If you could meet one person from any time in history, who would it be? I am fascinated by Abraham Lincoln’s story of perseverance and resilience in the face of multiple “failures”, illness, and setbacks. Despite all of the challenges he faced along the way, he gave to our humanity one of the greatest gifts that can be restored to the human spirit: the gift of freedom for every person in our country regardless of our differences in ethnic origin, race or color.

  • What’s one thing about you you’d like to share that most people don’t know? Many people are surprised to learn that I was born and raised in Haiti. I lived there until 1987 and moved to the US to continue my education when the political climate of the country became extremely unstable and dangerous after Baby Doc (a dictator that ruled the country for over 15 years) was overthrown in a coup d’état. My native language is French…though after so many years, I have to say that English feels much more native to me.

    Having grown up in Haiti, I was surrounded every day by extreme poverty. Unknowingly, life there was preparing me for where I am today….I witnessed countless times my parents’ concern for the people who worked for us, as they helped them with schooling expenses for their children and provided extra meals to feed their families.

    My father even had the reputation of buying things he didn’t need from people just because they desperately needed the money! But what impacted me the most as a child was the little faces staring through the window outside the ice cream shop we visited every Sunday following our family outing to the beach or the beautiful mountains of Haiti… I realize today the special gift my father made, not only to those children, but to me as well when he would hand each one of them their very own ice cream cone and watch the joy that suddenly lifted them, if only for a brief moment of their Sunday afternoon … My father passed away more than 29 years ago when I was still a child – but I know he is smiling down upon us. He taught me the meaning of philanthropy.

No comments:

Post a Comment